Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla. The date has become associated with the celebration in the United States of Mexican American culture. Festivals, parades, concerts are held in Chicago to celebrate Mexican cuisine, art, culture and music. Whether you are heading out for the evening or staying in and having your own fiesta at home, there’s plenty to do on Cinco de Mayo in Chicago.
The city is full of Cinco de Mayo events that celebrate Mexican American Culture!
- Carnivale (www.carnivalechicago.com): Cinco de Mayo at Carnivale will be one unforgettable fiesta! Lunch and dinner specials available, plus drink features all day long! At 6pm, a live performance by Mariachi Monumental de Mexico and Traditional Chinelos dancers begin! Sponsored by Avión Tequila.
- Mercadito (www.mercaditorestaurant.com): On Cinco de Mayo, guests can enjoy a special five-course prix fixe menu, $45 plus tax and gratuity. The five-course menu includes a choice of two guacamoles, two botanas or ceviches, four tacos including Chicken Mole, two side dishes and one dessert. Plus, guests are invited with caution to try the Vato Loco cocktail, known as “The Hottest Drink on Earth” at Mercadito. The Vato Loco is perfectly mixed with ancho- infused Blanco tequila, arbol chile syrup, pineapple-habanero puree, whole milk, fresh lime juice, a flaming jalapeno with over-proofed rum and four dashes of Tabasco, $15. Guests are required to sign a waiver form before attempting the Vato Loco cocktail.
- Cinco De Mayo Parade (5/7/2017) (https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/parade14.html): Parade begins at noon at Cermak Road &Damen Avenue to Marshall Blvd. For more information:
- Rhyme or Reason (rhymeorreasonchicago.com) 1938 W. Division St. in Wicker Park, features taco "flights" with four different kinds of tacos (chicken, grilled steak, carnitas, grilled shrimp or roasted poblano for vegetarians). The $12 flight includes a "margarita shooter" to augment a special frozen "Rhyme-Arita" Mezcal cocktail, which costs $10 per glass or $70 per table.
- Blue Agave-K Station (www.blueagavechicago.com) 555 w. Kenzie, Chicago IL Complimentary tequila tasting samples throughout the day featuring-Casa Noble, Avion, Patron, Don Julio and More! Then on Saturday, come to the HANGOVER DE MAYO BRUNCH! All you can eat buffet for $20 and bottomless mimosas for $15. Brunch begins at 11 and ends at 3pm
- Cantina Laredo (Chicago) (www.cantinalaredo.com) 508 N. State Street. Drink Specials all night with music featuring DJ Matt Rochford. $3 Bottle or draft Mexican beers. $5 La Favorita $5 Tajin Watermelon Rita
- The Peninsula Chicago (www.chicago.peninsula.com ) 108 E. Superior, Chicago. Cinco de Mayo bar Party! The Peninsula will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo with a Bar party featuring Tequila cocktails, margaritas and Mexican beers. Live music starts at 7 and end at midnight.
- Duet Dance Studio, (www.duetdancestudio.com) 2412 W. North Ave. Suite 201 in Humboldt Park, for a Latin dance party inspired by Cinco de Mayo. From 9-10:45 p.m. Friday, the studio will host a beginner salsa class, as well as an open dance session and performances by students and instructors.
LOOKING TO PARTY?
- Primary Night Club (www.primarychi.com ) 5 W. Division, Chicago presents “Tacos N Turntables”! Featuring DJ’s KE// Goodsex//Charlie Glitch//Karl Almaria. Doors open at 10pm. $10 admission. Free Tacos. Tickets available at http://bit.ly/tacosturntables
- Annex Nightclub (www.annexnightclub.com) 1958 W. North Avenue presents “Cinco de Mayo, Battle of the Beasts: Tacos Vs Tamales”! Featuring DJs CZR, Mickey Oliver, John Simmons, Julio Bishop, Caveman, Lovebug, Just Joey, and Czboogie. Doors open at 10 ends at 4am. Text Beasts to 312-783-6903 for free entry. Free Tacos and Tamales
Not going out? No worries. Plan a fiesta at home with you and a few of your closest friends. In fact, I’ve done all work for you! I’ve planned an awesome Cinco de Mayo party menu complete with my five favorite Margarita receipts. Click the photo for a free downloadable party menu!
Whether heading out our staying in, I hope you enjoy this #FridayFunday and have an awesome weekend! Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Until next time, take care of yourselves and one another